Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Post

Hi everyone,

Since I am embarking on an East Coast adventure in the next couple of days, some friends encouraged me to start a blog. I don't know that I'll have anything interesting to say, but you can check back every now and then just to make sure.

I'm headed to Boston, MA to work for the Americorps through next July. It sounds like I'll be working with the homeless at two shelter-based clinics out there. I'm one of 9 Americorps members working for the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program, and my position will be on Long Island (yes, there is one in Boston). While I haven't received an official job description yet, most of what I will be doing is benefits enrollment, health education and a few outreach events on the weekends. One of the clinics will be based in a standard emergency shelter while the other will be associated with individuals just out of detox. I have only worked a little bit with those populations before and this should be an adventure. It will be great experience and I hope it makes me a better doctor someday.

I was a little sad to leave Fort Collins yesterday. I got to see a few friends and old professors before I left. They had lots of good advice and encouragement. I'll miss my job up there. Teaching was really fun most days and my boss was really great to work with. I'll miss my folks at the assisted living facility and the AIDS Project too, but I'm excited to set off into the unknown, so to speak.

The trip out there will start Thursday. My dad has taken off work and he'll be going with me to make driving easier. It should be a really fun time, at least for me. I'll make sure to get some audiobooks to listen to so I don't talk his ear off the whole time =). We will also get to stop in Kirksville, MO to visit the wonderful Gillette family. I've been missing them, and I'm sure that quality BaPa/Anne time is long overdue. I can't wait to see their new house!

From there we'll drive straight on to Boston. I'll be moving in with what seems like a really friendly couple in Quincy (the house is right on the water - awesome!) and my new job will start on September 1st. I'll have to commute everyday though Boston traffic (boo), but my landlord used to work on the island too and she said the drive isn't that bad. We'll see how I do in winter. Stay off the roads if you value your lives...

From there we'll see how it goes. I'm really excited and really nervous to be moving to a brand new city and working in a job with a steep learning curve. I've been given many assignments from people back home that I'm to accomplish before I return. These include a picture of the Bull and Finch Bar (Cheers?), a t-shirt from the Sam Adams brewery, making obscene gestures at Fenway (I don't know if I'll follow through with this one) and finding an old park set up by a great-great uncle. My friend Christina has been really helpful and supportive. It's so reassuring to have a friend in town before I go. I imagine I'll be on the phone with her a lot in the next couple of weeks asking questions. I'll probably be calling home too, since I will miss my family terribly.

I think that's all for now. I'll post more details as soon as I have them.

Lynne

2 comments:

  1. Please feel free to call home anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Your mother is here w/Brodie and your news. Glad you are in Springfld and close to BeanTown. Your blog will be interesting to all of us dry landers.
    Brodie is fine. So is Mark. Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete