Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Latest

Hi everyone!

I got up early before work this morning and thought I’d blog in my extra time. Things have been really good at work. The Island is actually really pretty this time of year. There are a bunch of old TB hospital buildings, worn down from wind and weather in the bay, and everything is really green. There is even a little farm on the campus where people harvest vegetables that are served at the shelter. There are a ton of facilities out there, and I’m finally starting to learn which is which. My first position is at Transitions. Transitions is a housing program for people with nowhere to go after detox. It is usually a 28 day program where people can have support and education while looking for a new place to live. It’s been a little crazy since they just moved to Long Island from Mattapan.

The nurse I’m working with is really amazing. There is always something or someone interrupting her work, but she never seems to get frazzled. I was really nervous my first few days (so much so I even put a blood pressure cuff on upside down when taking someone’s blood pressure! How embarrassing… ), but she’s been really patient with my while I’m learning. I still feel pretty green, but I’m getting more comfortable. I finally got access to the benefits database yesterday so I can actually live up to my title of “Benefits Specialist.” So far I’ve been doing paperwork stuff, but yesterday my boss asked me if I’d like to do some health education. She also asked me how often I wanted to do it. When I said once a week she said, “Only once a week?” so it sounds like I’ll be doing health education presentations twice a week for the folks out there. I am trying to come up with good topics I can work on each week so if you have any ideas let me know. My first is going to be on cold/flu stuff since we’ll be giving out vaccines next week. I think I might do a men’s/women’s health one too coming up soon.

Anchor Inn is a more traditional homeless shelter, and there are several programs associated with their facility. Some programs are short term, around two weeks, and others are up to two years. Out there they have a more structured clinic. I pass out over the counter medications, take vital signs and keep up with their records and TB logs. I also do educational bulletin boards, which have been interesting because I’m so artistically challenged, and will be doing some health education. My supervisor told me to relax last night since there is a lot of down time, and much of the pressure I was feeling is off. In both settings, I often find myself wanting to do something, but hesitating because I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do something or if I’m doing it right. I hope I learn that stuff quickly because I hate that feeling. Like any position I take, I’m sure I’ll look back on the first couple of weeks and wonder what I was so worried about. I am starting to think I’m more of a type A-minus personality than a type B.

I’ve been having fun in my free time too. Saturday we trained in volunteer management downtown, and then ran patient activities at the medical respite home. I had a really good time. I’ll be leading the group on my own this coming Saturday. Sunday was a really relaxed day. I got to have lunch and walk around with my roommate Vitor and my friend Sharon. There is a picture of them in here somewhere. The restaurant we went to was called “Fire and Ice.” You take cold ingredients that you want cooked, throw them in a bowl with whichever sauce you want, and they cook it for you. Since it was Sunday brunch, they had everything from stir-fry and burgers to pancakes and bacon. Afterward, we wandered around the Public Gardens and Boston Common. Sharon and I proceeded to Cambridge where we met my Americorps coworkers for a picnic. It was a really beautiful day and I put in pictures of that park too.

I think that’s it for now. It’s almost time for me to leave for work. Love to everyone!


Vitor and Sharon in the Public Gardens

Swan Boats. Some peddle faster than others.

JFK Park in the afternoon


View from the bridge in the public garden



Fountain in JFK Park



Harvard from the bridge over the Charles River


Hare Krishna Festival in Boston Common. They were rapping about their religion. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment