Sunday, September 11, 2011

Summer Thanksgiving

It's been another awesome couple of days here. I start my position at the shelters tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited to meet my supervisor. Everyone says she is just amazing and I can't wait to meet her. I just hope she likes me too =).

At Americorps, we finished our generic training on Friday with our first service project. We went to the 8th Pole Project at Suffolk Downs Horse Racing Track. The track is classified as a migrant labor camp, so the track isn't subject to the same wage standards that other institutions are (that's my understanding, at least). This makes health care difficult to come by, and therefore the Boston Health Care for the Homeless program opened up a small clinic onsite. The clinic is a three-room trailer with basic medical supplies, an office and a food bank. It was our job to clean and organize this space for the coming year. This project was our September 11th service project, in commemoration of Patriot Day. It was fun working with my coworkers and learning about the track, the horses and the workers. I may go back on a race day sometime, just to see what it's like then.

After the project was over, we all met at a sports bar called Sissy K's, where they serve free food during certain hours. Since our living allowances aren't exactly CEO's salaries, we are all about free food. Everything we do, even the fun stuff, has been a learning experience. We caravanned through Boston so I could learn my way and I even parallel-parked when we got there, which was an accomplishment. It was a huge space, but I was still proud. We were able to hang out for a few hours and pounced on the free quesadillas, hot wings and nachos as they appeared. It was a good time and a great way to start the weekend.

Saturday was an awesome day too. I was invited to go to Christina's friend Talia's house in Lakeville for the night and was preparing for the overnight stay. I've known Talia for a while now and I consider her one of my friends too, it's just easier to explain how I know her that way. The plan was to meet at Talia's work, the Planetarium in the Boston Museum of Science, then drive to Lakeville and stay the night. On Saturday morning I finally picked up that gym membership I've been eyeing, and went to the friendliest laundromat ever before I left. Then I dashed to catch the subway so I could get to the Planetarium. There I met Sharon and eventually Talia. Talia is a presenter and we got to see a few shows for free. The planetarium is an amazing space, and the data they have is incredible. The software allows them to compile images and coordinates from scientists all over the world and add it to a vast database of information. Essentially, they can take you to anywhere in the universe that we have seen, with a telescope or otherwise. I was really impressed, and even though the shows seem geared toward small children I learned things. What does that say about me...

After the shows, we met Christina and Alex and set off for the house. When we got there, the afternoon sun was glinting off the water and the house smelled like apple crisp. Talia's parents are fabulous people, a nurse and a GI doc who love to entertain. In all I think there were a dozen guests and all stayed the night on floors, couches and guest rooms. The night (and the next day) were filled with copious amounts of delicious food, good conversation, wading in the lake and great weather. I have to say it one of the best parties I have ever been to. I am a little embarrassed about how much I ate, but I think everyone was just enjoying the awesome cooking. Did I mention how happy I am to finally have that gym membership? We were celebrating everything from Talia's birthday, Sharon's return to Boston, new jobs and upcoming anniversaries. It was a really fun group of people. While floating in the lake this morning, I couldn't help but think how grateful I am in my life, and how amazing the people in it are. Even though this new job may be stressful, I know that I always have supportive friends and family to rely on in the good days and bad. This little party was kind of like a Summer Thanksgiving - insane amounts of food, good company and a strong reminder of how lucky I am to be here. I've attached pictures from the back porch where we spent most of the afternoon talking. The bottom line is that I am really happy and I'm grateful to absolutely everyone who has made that possible. That includes family, friends and strangers.







Lots of love to all of you. I'll keep you posted on what Long Island is like.


Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment