Friday, April 6, 2012

I Love Our Patients

When I started at Transitions, one of the first things I heard (and heard many times since) was to lock up all my valuables. Nurses who turn their backs for even a second find pocketbooks, medications, etc. gone. Our patients are newly sober, and many have come into a pattern of manipulating or even stealing to get what they want. You have to be really careful with your things.

Yesterday was a little crazy. I wasn't feeling very well and there was a lot going on. The doctor normally sees 6 to 7 patients in the morning but we had 9 on his list. I was trying to prepare for my group and get all of these patients into the clinic, all while the nurse wanted me to go to a party for a case manager who is leaving. I managed to get it all done. Just as I was leaving my office for my health education group with the male patients, the nurse's boss said she wanted to speak to me too. They had just been in her office for 45 minutes. I assumed it was bad news because, let's face it, that's the only reason management ever comes to the Island. I told her I was on my way to a group, and she said she just needed 5 or 6 minutes of my time. I told her that it was ok, and asked the operations staff to delay my group until 1:40, ten minutes later than the original start time.

She sat me down and walked me through recent Medicare cuts, how many patients the clinic sees at any given time and other justification for whatever it was she was about to tell me. Since I was in a hurry, I was almost tempted to say, "You don't have to justify your actions with me, just tell me what is going on." I think she wanted to talk to me as a way to clear her conscience, or maybe just to make sure she covered all of her bases, or to make sure someone hadn't told me before she did. When 1:40 came and went, I really wanted to run and start my group. Starting group late and being flustered is not the best way to approach 20 newly sober gentlemen who can be a handful anyway. She finally told me what was going on, but asked me to keep it "under my hat" until everyone knows the news. So I will. I'll let you know when everyone knows. I thanked her for telling me, and when I didn't have any questions or concerns she asked to use my phone. I told her to feel free, and that she could make herself comfortable. I ran to my group and made it just in time. The operations folks had started taking role for me, and were just going to do a check in until I showed up.

Group was actually surprisingly successful. We talked about stress and they were really open to talking about relaxation techniques, things they had tried and things that didn't work for them. When I got back to my office I was feeling a little better, but then I saw the door. It was wide open, and my bag was sitting on the desk where anyone could see it. The big boss had just left the door open, probably not realizing what we worry about with some of our patients. I went over to the desk where my things were sitting. As I dug through my bag, I found that everything was still there - my cash, credit cards, ID and phone were all right where I left them. The only thing missing was the candy from the bowl sitting next to my bag.

The fact that my patients cleared out the candy bowl but left all of my things made me really happy. They have enough respect not to mess with my things, even though they clearly had access to all of it. I won't let something like this happen again, but I still feel like I underestimated their integrity. Even though they did take the candy, it made me feel really good that they didn't take my stuff. It's just one more reason why I love these crazy characters.

Love to all,

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment