Sunday, June 17, 2012

David S. Lynch Park and Miscellaneous

Hi everyone.

For starters, I've added more photos to my last post, "El Nido Escondido." While gathering photos for this post I found some I hadn't posted yet from my Memorial Day trip to the Adirondacks.

The photos in this post are all from my trip up to Beverly, MA. It turns out I have some relatives who grew up there. It is a charming little town on the "North Shore." Yesterday there seemed to be a parade or something in downtown. My guess it that it commemorated Flag Day, but I don't know for sure. My favorite story about Beverly and the relatives is the one about David S. Lynch Park. I'll let you read the history on the link I've posted below.

http://www.bevrec.com/lynchpark.html

David S. Lynch was Grammy's uncle, I believe. He is the one they talk about in the history section. Yesterday was chilly and foggy, but the view was pretty anyway. And there were quite a few people in the park, even though it was cold. They charge for parking, but Beverly residents are exempt. I guess that preserves the spirit of David Lynch's gift. Here are my photos.



Entrance to the park


The statue of the Falconer next to the water.

Beach access from the park

Rose Garden from the side

The rose garden. The inscription warns people that once they enter, they will never be free of its "spell."

I sat and played my ukulele in the park for a while, then headed home. I made a few stops. I found a school called St. John's, but I don't think it was the St. John's prep where Grammy's relatives went to school. I decided not to stop in Salem, but I may go back if other people come along with me.

After I got back into the Boston area, I went to a potluck in Cambridge with my coworkers and some of their friends. We played wiffleball and kickball in the park. It was like being 10 again. A few of us saw a movie afterward to get out of the cold. All in all it was a pretty fun day. Today will be a catch-up kind of day and the weather should be nice.

I'm praying that Colorado gets some rain (or a lot of rain) to help stop that fire west of Fort Collins. I'll be headed back to Denver for Jesse's wedding this coming week, so hopefully there will be some good news when I get there. Can't wait to see the family and my friends again!

Love to everyone,

Lynne


No comments:

Post a Comment