Saturday, December 10, 2011

Automotive abdominal aortic aneurysm...

So Sammy J (my Camry) is in pretty bad shape. I think I pushed him a little too hard tonight and now he's in a mechanic's lot around the corner.

Today didn't start out too badly. I was actually in Kirksville, MO after yesterday's interview. I got to start the day with my sister, brother-in-law and adorable niece. Anne was very sleepy when I left this morning. She didn't want to give hugs until just before I left. She said that she didn't want to give me a hug because she didn't want me to leave. We had so much fun this weekend I didn't really want to leave either, but I had to get back to Boston. I drove back to St. Louis and made it to the rental car place just in time and with just enough gas that I didn't get charged to fill it up. The flight was smooth and fast and I got to relax on the train back to Quincy. I read my book on mindfulness, and listened to music, and it was all very chill. I got to the grocery store and the laundromat, I wrote my med school interview thank you notes, and headed home with my clean laundry.

When I got there, there was a truck parked in the road just before the cul-de-sac. I pulled up behind him and waited for him to move, but he just sat. His license plate said "Rockstar" or something, and he had a pewter skull with red, glowing eyes on the tow-hitch. I should have known that thing was an omen. When I saw that he wasn't going to move, I realized he probably wanted to back up. It was a stupid thing to do, he could have just pulled forward and made a K-turn, but I backed up to let him by anyway. There is a very steep hill near the road, and I backed up onto that. I think at that point I was the one being stupid. I waited there until the truck backed up and drove away. A few more cars went by and I tried to start up the hill. It was a steep grade - probably about 45 degrees or more. I couldn't back up in neutral since there was a car behind me. Sammy's engine revved, and before 1st gear would engage I heard a pop. Smoke came out from under the hood and everything shut down. The power steering was gone, and I found myself stuck on the hill where I was. Had the power steering still been intact might have made it past that car behind me after all, but without it there was no way. I put the emergency brake on and tried to come up with a plan. Luckily, whoever owned that vehicle moved the car and I was able to back down the hill. The neighbors were really friendly even though I wasn't and they helped me move the car to a place where no one would hit it.

I called AAA, my parents and talked to my landlords about finding a good mechanic. The tow truck driver came to get me and took me to Rick's Auto Shop, a local place down the road. I don't even know the next time he'll be open, but I'm going to leave a message tomorrow and hopefully he'll get back to me. On the way home, I walked past the hill and saw a puddle of oil. When I went up close I found a screw, half of a nut, and several shards of metal that appeared to come from the engine. These were not a good sign. I think he essentially exploded from the inside. Thus the "automotive abdominal aortic aneurysm" title. Now I will just have to wait and see what the verdict is. In the meantime I'll have to rent a car to get to work and back. That's life, I guess.

Otherwise, things are good. The interview went well (I think) and I should hear from KCOM within 4 weeks depending on how fast things get done before or after the holiday. I should also be hearing from other schools soon. Creighton said 6-8 weeks and I interviewed with them on November 5th. BU will send out their first round on January 10th, then the second at the end of March. CU could be any time from Monday to the end of March. They just kind of do what they want. I've already been accepted to Rocky Vista. We'll see where I end up. I hope I get a few more acceptances, but a bird in hand...

Anne was so much fun, like I said. We played hide and seek, and she combed my hair and we had an elephant parade. She is a "pistol," with lots of energy and spunk. She also speaks very well for her age. Whenever I would come in the door, she would say something like, " You are welcome to take off your coat." She just turned three! I know I'm biased, but I think she is a pretty bright little girl. She also knows how to talk her way out of any situation. Ask Tamra or Nathan about her night with Daniel and the ice cream sometime.

I love all of you friend and family folk very much. You've always been incredibly supportive and loving and I couldn't do anything I've done without you. !Muchas gracias!

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment